Drug and Medical Device Litigation
Over the last twenty years our lawyers have handled a broad range of pharmaceutical and medical device litigation involving serious personal injury or wrongful death arising out of the use or misuse of a wide variety of drugs, medicines, therapies, and medical devices. One of our senior partners, Bruce Barze, served as national counsel in the fen-phen litigation, and we regularly serve as regional and local counsel for pharmaceutical and device manufacturers and distributors. Bruce also is recognized by his peers as one of the world’s leading practitioners in the life sciences field with his inclusion in Who’s Who Legal: Life Sciences.
In addition to litigating drug and device cases, our lawyers are skilled in the multi-district litigation (MDL) treatment of claims, both in terms of opposing MDL certification and in coordinating MDL proceedings with pending state court litigation.
- Served as national coordinating counsel for a pharmaceutical company in the phen-fen litigation, managing hundreds of cases nationwide and coordinating MDL proceedings and a network of local counsel in several states.
- National representation of French manufacturer of natural products used in the food, beverage, flavor, nutraceutical, pharmaceutical, and cosmetics industries in commercial disputes and tort claims around the United States.
- Representation of European insurance carrier in analysis, evaluation, and settlement of hundreds of high-exposure medical device claims.
- Defense of Belgian company recognized as a leader in additive manufacturing (also known as 3D printing) in a medical device product liability case.
- Served as Alabama state counsel in the defense of numerous lawsuits following the worldwide recall of an atrial pacemaker lead.
- PPA (Phenylpropanolamine)
- Fenfluramine and Phentermine (Fen-Phen)
- IVC filters
- Pacemakers and Pacemaker Leads
- Total Hip Replacement and Hip Resurfacing Devices
- Latex Gloves
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Nutritional and Dietary Supplements